Downstage Productions Applications Now Open
Bay City Players is currently accepting applications for Downstage Productions for Season 106 (2023-2024). “Down Stage” productions are intended to be independent, small-scale productions added to the regular season. Shows that were unlikely to be added to the regular season for any reason might find a smaller presentation here. Applications are open to the public, newcomers are welcome.
Guidelines for Applicants
- The show would in no way interfere with the production of a regular season show.
- Most productions would be of a readers’ theatre nature or black box style and require little in the way of production values.
- This type of production would not fall under usual budgeting or reimbursement unless agreed to in advance. Royalties, cost of scripts, etc. would be considered.
- The show would likely use only the apron for performance and “normal” backstage areas for makeup and dressing. (Players has an apron 15’ deep and 27’ wide.)
- Construction using Player’s materials would be cleared in advance.
- Players’ props and costumes might be used if not needed for a regular production and approved by committee chairs. Construction of items using Players’ materials would need to be cleared with the committee chair.
- Rehearsals at Players would be on a space available situation and would need to be approved as part of the proposal.
- On-stage production time for “Down Stage” productions would be the week of performance starting Sunday and ending Saturday, with performances intended for Friday and Saturday.
- Strike would take place immediately after the last performance and be completed at that time.
Please review the full policy Downstage Production Guidelines. The application process is like applying to direct a main stage show. We require a concept statement describing your vision for the show, a tentative budget, and the production requirements needed. Submissions can be emailed to email@example.com, and will be forwarded to the Play-Reading Committee for consideration. A maximum of two shows will be chosen and forwarded to the Board of Directors for approval. Deadline for Season 106 Downstage Productions is 7-1-22.