Delta College (Room G160): Thursday, August 18, 6:00 PM-8:30 PM
Bay City Players: Friday, August 19, 6:00 PM-8:30 PM
Delta College: Wednesday, Nov. 2 & Thursday, Nov. 3 at 10:00 AM
Bay City Players: Friday, Nov. 4 & Saturday, Nov. 5 at 7:30 PM and Sunday, Nov. 6 at 3:00 PM
Bay City Players and Delta College Drama Department invite you to audition for “Treasure Island.” Our two programs are partnering to bring this tale of adventure to life on two stages! Please come to one of the following audition times: Thurs., August 18, 6pm-8:30pm at Delta College’s Lecture Theater, room G160 or Fri., August 19, 6pm-8:30pm at Bay City Players. Performances at Delta College will be on November 2 & 3 at 10am. Performances at Bay City Players will be on November 4 & 5 at 7:30pm and November 6 at 3pm. We are producing Bryony Lavery’s adaptation of “Treasure Island” by Robert Louis Stevenson. Dramatist Play Service, Inc. provides the following summary of the show:
It’s a dark, stormy night. The stars are out. Jim, the innkeeper’s granddaughter, opens the door to a terrifying stranger. At the old sailor’s feet sits a huge sea-chest, full of secrets. Jim invites him in—and her dangerous voyage begins. Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic tale of murder, money and mutiny is brought to life in this thrilling adaptation.
Scripts can be previewed prior to auditions at Bay City Players or at Delta College. At Bay City Players a $20 refundable deposit is required. Scripts can only be checked out for ten days and must be returned prior to auditions. The office is open from 10 – 2 from Monday through Thursday. Scripts are also available for a two-hour checkout at the Delta College Library reserve desk.
Production Schedule: The link below provides the full rehearsal schedule. Practices will mainly take place on Thursdays from 6-9pm, Fridays from 6-9pm, and Saturdays from 2-5pm. Delta College will host all practices in August and September with the exception of one or two stage combat sessions that will be held at Bay Regional Fencing Alliance in Freeland. In October, we will include rehearsals at Bay City Players when the stage is ready for our show. Here is the Rehearsal Schedule link: https://mcusercontent.com/30f184b1484605df95dd9d992/files/ff47b1a9-0dbb-0469-27df-071c51333ab5/Treasure_Island_Rehearsal_Schedule.pdf
Make-up/Costumes: Make-up kits will be provided to those who need one. Actors may be asked to acquire shoes and some basic costume pieces. A couple characters will require more extensive makeup or costume applications. Those actors may need to arrive earlier than the performance call times indicated on the rehearsal schedule in order to have enough time to be ready for the show.
Set Construction: Set construction will take place on most Saturdays from 11am-2pm at Delta College during August and September. There will also be set construction in early October at Bay City Players (dates and times TBD). Actors are encouraged to help with set construction when their schedules allow.
Character Descriptions: (*denotes a character participating in stage combat )
*Jim Hawkins, Junior (to play 13-16 years)- a teenage girl dressed like a boy
Grandma Hawkins (to play age 40-70 years)- a landlady
*Doctor Livesey (to play age 30-50 years)- a doctor and thinker
*Squire Trelawney (to play age 40-60 years)- a squire with a big mouth
Mrs. Crossley (to play 30-50 years)- drinker and churchgoer
*Red Ruth (to play 18-40 years)- future crew member
*Job Anderson (to play 18-40 years)-future crew member
*Lucky Micky (to play 18-40 years)- future crew member
*Bill Bones (to play 30-50)-haunted villain (character will require more makeup application)
*Black Dog (to play 30-50)-eight-fingered villain
*Blind Pew (to play 30-50)-blind villain (character will require more makeup application)
*Captain Smollett (to play 30-50)-captain
*Long John Silver (to play 25-40)-one-legged crook, charmer, and villain (requires more makeup and costume time)
*Joan The Goat (to play 18-40 years)- headbutter and villain
*Israel Hands (to play 18-40 years)- clumsy Spaniard and villain
*Dick the Dandy (to play 18-40 years)- collector of sharp knives and villain
*Killigrew The Kind (to play 18-40 years)- gentle killer
*George Badger (to play 18-40 years)- malcontent and villain
*Grey (to play 18-40 years)- a grey, forgettable character
Ben Gunn (to play 13-16 years)- marooned cabin boy
Captain Flint—a parrot. A puppeteer is needed. This person will be dressed in black, maneuver the puppet onstage and will be the parrot voice.
- Actors assigned to roles with asterisks will need to attend multiple stage combat training sessions as noted in the rehearsal schedule. Attendance at these sessions is important to learn choreography and to make sure that all actors are safe onstage. Multiple conflicts with these dates will most likely impact casting decisions. To remain in a stage combat role, ensure that you don’t have many absences outside of your noted conflicts.
- The production will include flashing lights, loud noises, and fog. Please keep this in mind if you have sensitivities to these special effects.
- Cast members are volunteers and are not paid.
2) Complete the Audition Form before coming to auditions.
3) Consider reading the full script before auditions.
4) Come to ONE of the audition dates: Thurs., August 18, 6pm-8:30pm at Delta College’s Lecture Theater, room G160 OR Fri., August 19, 6pm-8:30pm at Bay City Players. Doors will be open 30 minutes prior to auditions starting. Plan to stay the full time. Those attending will do cold-readings of scenes from the script. The Director or one of the Assistant Directors will call with results on Saturday, August 20. Please note that if you are cast in one of the stage combat roles, you will have your first training session on Sunday, August 21 as noted on the rehearsal schedule. If you have additional questions, please contact the director at email@example.com