September 24 at 10:00 AM
September 28 at 6:00 PM
In-Person at Bay City Players
1214 Columbus Ave.
Bay City, MI 48708
Directors: Erin Frye
Assistant Director: Rusty Myers
Did it snow “six days and nights when I was twelve or was it twelve days and nights when I was six”? A totally delightful evening of whimsy and charm finds young Dylan Thomas trying to retell a “perfect” Christmas from his childhood in Wales. Was it the one where he and the other chaps created hours of fun in the snow? Or was it the one where the firemen came to the house Christmas day to rescue the turkey from the smoke-filled kitchen? Not always sure of the details, the audience can be sure of a warm and wonderful family, sweet moments from a time gone by, and lovely, lovely singing as only the Welsh would have it. We are producing Jeremy Brooks and Adrian Mitchell’s stage adaptation of “A Child’s Christmas in Wales” by Dylan Thomas
“If the play has a plot, it is the story of Christmas Day itself, from its quiet, magical beginning full of thrilling expectations to the end when the boy Dylan creeps up to the bed, replete with the joy of a perfect Christmas.” -Dramatic Publishing Company
- Dylan Thomas– Child role (10yr+), young boy narrator outgoing, smart, quick-witted but respectful
- Mother and Father of Dylan– Adult role, traditional hard-working, fun loving-not strict. Dylan’s mom the glue that held the family together.
- Postman– Adult role, jovial
- Jim, Jack, Tom– Child roles (10yr+), Dylan’s friends who admire him
- Smoky-the Park Keeper– Adult role, kind and wise
- Hannah– Adult role, the father’s sister (Dylan’s Aunt)
- Gwyn– Adult role, Dylan’s Uncle, grateful but not imposing
- Nellie– Adult role, Gwyn’s Wife
- Glyn– Adult roles, Dylan’s Uncle, a bachelor
- Brenda and Glenda– Child roles (10yr+), Dylan’s Cousins
- Tudyr and Bessie– Adult roles, parents of Brenda and Glenda
- Elieri– Adult role, Dylan’s Aunt, spinster, forlorn and butt of the joke at times
- Murgtroyd– Adult role, a hotel Chauffeur-stately
- Fireman 1, 2, and 3– Adult roles, helpful and kind
- Constable Lloyd-Jones– Adult role, proud and good natured
- Town Hill Boys– Child roles (10yr+), a bit of a mystery
- Hunchback– Adult role, fixture in the background
WHAT TO PREPARE:
Those attending will do cold readings of scenes from the Script as well as some vocal for range determination. Scripts can be previewed prior to auditions at Bay City Players. There is a $20 refundable deposit required. The office is open from 10 – 2 p.m. from Monday through Thursday.
- Review the Child Christmas Rehearsal Schedule as you must include all known conflicts on your audition form.
- Complete the Audition Form before coming to auditions.
- Consider reading the full script before auditions.
- Come to ONE of the audition dates: September 24th 10:00 AM or 28th 6:00 PM at Bay City Players. Doors will be open 30 minutes prior to auditions starting.
A member of the production team will call with results by end of the day on Friday, September 30th. If you have additional questions, please contact the director, Erin Frye, email@example.com. We look forward to working with you!