Current Casting Calls
THE WHO’S TOMMY AUDITIONS
May 18 & 20, 2022 ***
In-Person at Bay City Players
1214 Columbus Ave.
Bay City, MI 48708
Directors: Judy Harper and Jeanne Gilbert
Music Director: Quinton Larion
Choreography: Tara Wieland
Producer: Greg Burke
*** Please note the second night of auditions has been moved to May 20th at 7:00 PM.
Based on the iconic 1969 rock concept album, The Who’s Tommy is an exhilarating story of hope, healing, and the human spirit. After witnessing the accidental murder of his mother’s lover by his father, Tommy is traumatized into catatonia and, as the boy grows, he suffers abuse at the hands of his sadistic relatives and neighbors. As an adolescent, he’s discovered to have an uncanny knack for playing pinball and, when his mother finally breaks through his catatonia, he becomes an international pinball superstar.
IMPORTANT: This is not the movie script, so please do not base your audition on characters from the film. This is a rock opera—almost entirely a singing show. All ensemble members should be strong, passionate singers and able to move.
- TOMMY (Narrator) (LEAD)- Male, 18-30, High Tenor An embittered young genius stricken deaf, dumb and blind after a childhood trauma.
- NORA WALKER (LEAD)- Female, 25-40, Pop-Mezzo-Soprano. A weary middle-class woman. Tommy’s mother.
- CAPTAIN WALKER (LEAD)- Male, 35-50, A former soldier with lingering guilt. Father to Tommy.
- COUSIN KEVIN (LEAD)- Male, 18-35, Tenor. A bully with sadistic tendencies. Tortures his cousin, Tommy, when they’re young.
- UNCLE ERNIE (LEAD)- Male, 35-55, A lecherous, drunken bachelor. And Tommy’s uncle.
- THE HAWKER (FEATURED/ENSEMBLE)- Adult any age, dancer, soloist, vocal range baritone. He is a pimp who sings a blues song to lure Captain Walker into arranging a “date” for teenage Tommy. He believes his woman’s magical sensual powers will cure Tommy of his catatonia.
- GYPSY THE ACID
- QUEEN (FEATURED/ENSEMBLE)- Female, 25-40, Mix/belt. A brazen drug dealer and prostitute. Tommy’s parents bring him to the Gypsy to experiment with unusual cures.
- THE SPECIALIST (FEATURED/ENSEMBLE)- Male, 30-55, Baritone. A very modern doctor who has new theories on how to cure Tommy.
- SALLY SIMPSON (FEATURED/ ENSEMBLE)- Female, 16-25, A bold, sensitive, and excitable teenybopper.
- TOMMY (4-year-old)- May be played by a child of any gender. This actor must have excellent self-control and awareness of his/her body and facial expressions. He has only one spoken line, but has emotional singing lines and plays a critical, recurring character throughout the play.
- TOMMY (10-year-old)- playing 10 years old, but actor can be older, Soprano. Solos, duets, and trios. The actor must have excellent control over body and facial expression and be able to experience a lot of noise, singing, activity and physical contact without flinching or breaking from the catatonic character. Parents are cautioned as to the adult nature of the situations faced by this character and played out by the actors in some scenes.
- SUPPORTING CHARACTERS DRAWN FROM THE ENSEMBLE
- THE LOVER (ENSEMBLE)- Male, 25-40, Tenor – Mrs. Walker’s lover killed by Captain Walker. Needs to be physically fit, appears shirtless.
- PINBALL CHAMPS (2)- Male/Female, playing teens-20’s, dancer and strong solo vocalists. Sings a solo in Pinball Wizard, which evolves from solo to trio, then ensemble.
- NURSE(S)- Female, any age, Mezzo-Soprano. There are two scenes where a nurse has an important solo and duet, and an additional scene with extensive pantomime and movement. Good solo singer and mover. May double as “It’s a Boy” nurse and Specialist’s assistant.
- 2ND HAWKER AND HARMONICA SOLOIST– Male/Female, any age, Bari-tenor. Pimp who sings a duet with the Hawker and plays blues harmonica.
- All types (playing late teen – young adult) with strong voices and ensemble dance abilities. Will portray various characters as we move through time and location with some solos, duets, and a few spoken lines: Minister, Second Officer, Nurses, Soldiers, Judge, First Barrister, Second Barrister, Relatives, Minister’s Wife, Local Lads/Security Guards, Local Lasses, The Specialist’s Assistant, News Vendor, Mrs. Simpson, & Reverend.
WHAT TO PREPARE:
Auditioners must bring sheet music or recorded accompaniment with them and be prepared to sing 32 bars of a rock song that showcases their vocal range. You may perform a song from the show, but this should be something that you are very comfortable with, not something you just learned the day before. An accompanist will be provided. Additionally, the music director may ask you to sing a song from the show, which will be taught to you.
There is a lot of dance/movement, and everyone will be required to do a dance audition. A short routine, likely done in groups, will be taught by the choreographer. Please wear something appropriate.
Finally, auditioners will be asked to do cold readings from the show for the directors.
- Review Rehearsal Schedule for conflicts
- Complete Audition Form prior to auditions
- Prepare for auditions (See above)
- Show up early for auditions on either May 18 or 20. Auditions start promptly at 7:00 PM and late arrivals will not be permitted. You should be dressed, warmed up, and ready to go at 7:00 PM.
Bay City Player’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Vision Statement:
The theatre has long been a haven for self-expression and restoration of the spirit. However, we recognize there is great inequity in our world. We embrace the opportunity to learn from the worldwide call for allyship with respect to the voices of all marginalized people. We understand that impactful and long-lasting change takes time and a shared commitment. Bay City Players is dedicated to authentic Diversity, Inclusion and Equity across all spectrums and will continue to seek innovative ways to achieve this.
Bay City Player’s Makeup Policy
Bay City Players has implemented a new Makeup Policy for the safety of cast members. Each cast member is asked to purchase their own Ben Nye makeup kit to keep with intent to reduce the spread of germs resulting from sharing makeup. Cast members do not have to purchase a kit if they have a Ben Nye kit from a previous show. The kit cost approximately $17-24 per kit. Kits last approximately two years if taken care of properly and Ben Nye has colors for EVERY skin tone. Should you not be able to cover the cost of your kit, scholarships are available and kept confidential. Scholarships can be requested after casting on the Cast Bio form. The Makeup Chair will meet with cast to help them select the correct kit and Bay City Players will order all the kits. Payment will be collected when the kits are handed out via cash, check, or credit card.